Saturday, July 9, 2011

Neighbor love




I think I have indicated before that the reaction of the neighborhood to our decision to transform a large portion of our lot into growing space for vegetables and fruit trees has elicited some awesome interactions with our neighbors and passersby.

The project is still in its early stages, which means twiggy baby trees and empty-looking patches where things are beginning to sprout. The stuff that is growing isn't exactly what's typically considered attractive frontyard landscaping -- tomatoes, onions, melons. And then there are those bigass rain barrels...

Nevertheless, several times a week, when we're out working in the garden, drivers will pull over to ask about what we've planted or walkers pause to comment that they've been watching our progress. One woman even set to weeding with us while she chatted.

We were particularly touched by the thank-you card that showed up in our mailbox recently. Such a gesture seems uncommon in this day and age and makes me want to give these nice people a big hug (and a basket of tomatoes if I can keep the squirrels from stealing them). 

Our neighbors' excitement makes Zach and me feel like our growing experiment matters to more than just us. The totally unexpected attention is flattering, as well as intimidating. What if we fail, and everything that we've planted just croaks off? It's not like either of us really know anything about gardening yet. We just know what we want this land to give us: sustenance, beauty and respite.

I am so glad that the people around us can see that. And I hope that we succeed and can share our bounty with them.

4 comments:

  1. I hear that! When Joe & I started relandscaping our yard, all of our neighbors stopped and were curious...and they still stop today to tell us how great the yard looks. When we planted our garden in side yard, the neighbors once again started stopping more often to chat (and to plead their case as to why they should get the fresh vegetables when they come in!). Good luck with your...I had to pull up my melons and peppers today for lack of growth (and much death!). Also pulled up a couple of tomato plants that weren't doing anything except hogging precious nutrients from the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something has stolen four of our tomatoes. I would think squirrels, but the 'maters all disappeared as if picked! I'm so ready for our main tomato bed to start producing heavily. All the plants have blooms aplenty, but I fear we may have planted things too close. Lessons, lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer! Be on the lookout for these: http://www.joeloehle.com/blog/365-invasion
    One day he just appeared and ate a bunch of our grape tomatoes. I'm normally all for "rehoming" pests...but not this one...I didn't want him coming back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this it is so awesome what you're doing, with the wayward dog rescuing, gardening, revitalization and all and clearly it is not going unnoticed. Sounds like you have entered the perfect little community. I don't think they'll let you fail, you'll have many, many hands to support you if it becomes too overwhelming.

    Your stories have made me want a house all over again (I have to keep telling myself "get through grad school first")!

    ReplyDelete